Please find below the event information as it currently stands. We are constantly reviewing all information and the final event information will be shared as a race information pack in advance of the event.
Race Start / Finish: The start and finish location of the on water disciplines is Ouaisne Beach. There will be a registration area near the Ouaisne beach slip. *Start times will be confirmed in due course.
Distances – The SUP challenge is roughly 40 miles long
SUP Route – The course will follow a predefined route by the Jersey Paddle Club, including a series of check points through which competitors must pass.
SUP Categories – The SUP challenge will consist of single entry and a relay team of two or five entry. Board length is unlimited and Outrigger Canoes will also be allowed within the SUP discipline.
Safety Boat – the event, with the support of Le Mourier – Swim, Sea, Save; will be providing safety boats and first aid cover on the water and on land.
Live Tracking – Each SUP participant (where feasible) will be allocated a tracking device allowing us (and your family and friends) to track your location at any given time. SUP movements will be displayed on a live moving map.
**UK PADDLE ENDURANCE SERIES**
The 2019 JRIC is now part of the UK Paddle Endurance Series. The Paddle series brings all paddle sports together with the aim to challenge the body and mind in the pursuit of achieving your goals.
Points for finishing places at JRIC 2019 will be added to their 2019 Series table.
More information on the UK Paddle Endurance Paddle Series can be found here: https://www.ukpaddleenduranceseries.com/?fbclid=IwAR36q_8me7hIIbGR-BRTakiR99kAuk7UAbikmrJwkx_uCF2KaAR45Lx6uvM
Important Event Information for sign up
The Jersey Paddle Club will advise on the safety of the SUP challenge category. They will provide essential support, advice and safety guidelines as well as ratify your paddle and add your achievement to their records.
For the sake of safety, every entrant must first be signed off by their own club. A letter must be sent to the event organisers stating that each participant has comepleted a 20 mile paddle on water.
Before signing up for the Jersey Round Island Challenge the Jersey Paddle Club have insisted that the below qualifying criteria is met and helpful information is read to ensure you are race fit:
Qualifying Criteria and helpful information to Participate
- We advise new SUP participants (living in Jersey) to first join the Jersey Paddle Club. You can find the club on www.jerseypaddleclub.org.je, and on Facebook (Jersey Paddle Club) or you can email direct on email@example.com
- The club have no set training for this event, however they do have races every 3 weeks during the summer, details for these can be found on their Facebook page. All scheduled distance training events will be detailed here.
- All participants should only enter this event if they have good medical fitness. To assist in the events preparations with safety the Jersey Paddle Club will certify (where they have knowledge) which members have either completed a round the island paddle or have raced a certain distance in open water. Any visiting paddlers from off island should get their clubs to do the same.
- The Jersey Paddle club must receive a letter from all participants club to confirm that the paddler has completed 20 miles on open water/Ocean prior to our event.
- The event organisers have the right to refuse entry to participant who’s experience is deemed inappropriate for this challenge.
- Have a leash and Personal Flotation Device
- Carry a VHF/mobile phone which is accessible and useable at all times on the water in addition to the spot tracker (provided by the race organisers).
- Carry a flare (day-smoke) or marine streamer (to assist any rescuer pinpoint position)
- Ensure that they carry enough food and water for energy and full hydration throughout the event.
Please see the 2019 relay distances below:
|Relay Legs||Distance Information||Cut off time*|
|1: Ouaisne to Green Island||tbc|
|2: Green Island to St.Catherines||tbc|
|3: St.Catherines to Bonne Huit||tbc|
|4: Bonne Huit to Fisheries||tbc|
|5: – Fisheries to Ouaisne||tbc|
*Cut off Times will be determined and communicated in race brief
Post Race Prize-giving and Drinks
Our event is all about supporting the community and celebrating the Jersey lifestyle – our event HQ will be open to all throughout the day. All participants of all five-race categories are invited to join us from 4:30pm to celebrate achievements which is based in Grouville, Long Beach mound (overlooking the beach, to greet our swimmers and runners!!).
The organisers would like all participants to join us from 7:00pm for the prize giving where all competitors will receive their medals and top performer awards will be given out. Finger food will be provided courtesy of the event sponsors and a bar and hot food will be available to purchase.