Please find below the event information as it currently stands. We are constantly reviewing all information and the final event information will be shared as a race information pack in advance of the event.
Race Start – The races will start from the beach in the stunning Ouaisne Bay. The start time for SUP is 6:30 am and for Outriggers 6:45am.
Race Finish – The races will also finish in Ouaisne Bay (Full Round Island Course!)
Distances – The SUP challenge is roughly 40 miles long
SUP Route – The course will follow a predefined route by the Jersey Paddle Club, including a series of check points through which competitors must pass.
SUP Categories – The SUP challenge will consist of single entry and a relay team of two or five entry. Board length is unlimited and Outrigger Canoes will also be allowed within the SUP discipline.
Safety Boat – the event, with the support of Le Mourier – Swim, Sea, Save; will be providing safety boats and first aid cover on the water and on land.
Live Tracking – Each SUP participant (where feasible) will be allocated a tracking device allowing us (and your family and friends) to track your location at any given time. SUP movements will be displayed on a live moving map.
***TOTALLY AWESOME SUP UPDATE ***
Organisers of the JRIC are excited to confirm that the event has been selected as a Regional League event of the newly formed The Paddle League. The World Tour and regional leagues will now be connected via the interlinked Paddle League rankings to create a true sense of unity in the sport.
This means that the SUP discipline of the Jersey Round Island Challenge will now be able to offer World Championship ranking points (1 star to 4-stars or 10-40 points on the interlinked Paddle League rankings, which will place the JRIC race in the same system as the major international events on the World Tour!
To read more about the Paddle League – Click here
Important Event Information for sign up
The Jersey Paddle Club will advise on the safety of the SUP challenge category. They will provide essential support, training and safety guidelines as well as ratify your paddle and add your achievement to their records.
For the sake of safety, every entrant must first demonstrate that they are fit and capable to participate in this endurance event before being allowed to take on the challenge. Sign off for participation will come from an experienced Jersey club member.
Before signing up for the Jersey Round Island Challenge the Jersey Paddle Club have recommended the below qualifying criteria and helpful information to ensure you are race fit for the 14 July 2018:
Qualifying Criteria and helpful information to Participate
- We advise new SUP participants (living in Jersey) to first join the Jersey Paddle Club. You can find the club on www.jerseypaddleclub.org.je, and on Facebook (Jersey Paddle Club) or you can email direct on email@example.com
- The club have no set training for this event, however they do have races every 3 weeks during the summer, details for these can be found on their Facebook page. All scheduled distance training events will be detailed here.
- All participants should only enter this event if they have good medical fitness. To assist in the events preparations with safety the Jersey Paddle Club will certify (where they have knowledge) which members have either completed a round the island paddle or have raced a certain distance in open water. Any visiting paddlers from off island should get their clubs to do the same.
- Have a leash and Personal Flotation Device
- Carry a VHF/mobile phone which is accessible and useable at all times on the water in addition to the spot tracker (provided by the race organisers).
- Carry a flare (day-smoke) or marine streamer (to assist any rescuer pinpoint position)
- Ensure that they carry enough food and water for energy and full hydration throughout the event.
Please see the 2018 relay distances below.
|Relay Legs||Distance Information||Cut off time*|
|1: Ouaisne to Green Island||tbc|
|2: Green Island to St.Catherines||tbc|
|3: St.Catherines to Bonne Huit||tbc|
|4: Bonne Huit to Fisheries||tbc|
|5: – Fisheries to Ouaisne||tbc|
*Cut off Times will be determined and communicated in race brief
Post Race Prize-giving and Drinks
Our event is all about supporting the community and celebrating the Jersey lifestyle – our event HQ will be open to all throughout the day. All participants of all five-race categories are invited to join us from 4:30pm to celebrate achievements which is based in Grouville, Long Beach mound (overlooking the beach, to greet our swimmers and runners!!).
The organisers would like all participants to join us from 7:00pm for the prize giving where all competitors will receive their medals and top performer awards will be given out. Finger food will be provided courtesy of the event sponsors and a bar and hot food will be available to purchase.