Please find below the event information as it currently stands. We are constantly reviewing all information and the final event information will be shared as a race information pack in advance of the event.
Race Start – The race will start at 09.15 am on Saturday 12 August and will start from the Elizabeth Castle Break Water. In advance of the start all SUP participants will meet at the Jersey Rowing Club in St Helier Harbour. All competitors will be escorted by Le Mourier Charters to the start line.
Race Finish – The race will finish off the breakwater of Elizabeth Castle. Le Mourier will be present, with some supporters if possible, and all competitors, once finished will be shuttled back to the Jersey Rowing Club to pack their equipment away and then head over to the Event HQ to receive a heroes welcome.
Distances – The SUP challenge is roughly 40 miles long
SUP Route – The course will follow a predefined route by the Jersey Paddle Club.
SUP Categories – The SUP challenge will consist of single entry and a relay team of five entry. Board length is unlimited and Outrigger Canoes will also be allowed within the SUP discipline.
Safety Boat – the event, with the support of The Jersey Aquatic Rescue Club will be providing safety boats and first aid cover on the water and on land.
Live Tracking – Each SUP participant (where feasible) will be allocated a tracking device allowing us (and your family and friends) to track your location at any given time. SUP movements will be displayed on a live moving map.
Important Event Information for sign up
The Jersey Paddle Club will advise on the safety of the SUP challenge category. They will provide essential support, training and safety guidelines as well as ratify your paddle and add your achievement to their records.
For the sake of safety, every entrant must first demonstrate that they are fit and capable to participate in this endurance event before being allowed to take on the challenge. Sign off for participation will come from an experienced Jersey club member.
Before signing up for the Jersey Round Island Challenge the Jersey Paddle Club have recommended the below qualifying criteria and helpful information to ensure you are race fit for the 12 August 2017:
Qualifying Criteria and helpful information to Participate
- We advise new SUP participants (living in Jersey) to first join the Jersey Paddle Club. You can find the club on www.jerseypaddleclub.org.je, and on Facebook (Jersey Paddle Club) or you can email direct on email@example.com
- The club have no set training for this event, however they do have races every 3 weeks during the summer, details for these can be found on their Facebook page. All scheduled distance training events will be detailed here.
- All participants should only enter this event if they have good medical fitness. To assist in the events preparations with safety the Jersey Paddle Club will certify (where they have knowledge) which members have either completed a round the island paddle or have raced a certain distance in open water. Any visiting paddlers from off island should get their clubs to do the same.
- Have a leash and Personal Flotation Device
- Carry a VHF/mobile phone which is accessible and useable at all times on the water in addition to the spot tracker (provided by the race organisers).
- Carry a flare (day-smoke) or marine streamer (to assist any rescuer pinpoint position)
- Ensure that they carry enough food and water for energy and full hydration throughout the event.
|Relay Legs||Distance Information||Cut off time*|
|1: Elizabeth Castle Breakwater to La Rocque Harbour||0 – 6 miles (6 miles)||tbc|
|2: La Rocque Harbour to Rozel Bay||6 – 14 Miles (8 miles)||tbc|
|3: Rozel Bay to Greve de Lecq Harbour||14 – 23 Miles (9 miles)||tbc|
|4: Greve de Lecq Harbour to Le Braye||23 – 31 Miles (8 miles)||tbc|
|5: -Le Braye to Elizabeth Castle Breakwater (Finish)||31 – 40 Miles (9 miles)||tbc|
*Cut off Times will be determined and communicated in race brief
Post Race Prize-giving and Drinks
All participants of all five race categories are invited to join us for some celebratory drinks at the Event HQ Marquee at Waterfront Gardens (on top of Waterfront underground car park) on finishing. The prize-giving will take place at 7.30pm when all competitors should be back. All medals and top performer awards will be handed out on the evening. Food and drink will be provided to competitors courtesy of the event sponsors. Spectators will be able to purchase food and drink also.