Kayak/Surf Ski/ Canoe Information
Please find below the event information as it currently stands. We are constantly reviewing all information and the final event information will be shared as a race information pack in advance of the event.
Race Start / Finish – The start and finish location of the on water disciplines is Ouaisne Beach. There will be a registration area near the Ouaisne beach slip.
*Start times will be confirmed in due course*
Distances – The on-water craft challenge is approximately 33 miles / 50km. The route will follow a predefined route by the Jersey Canoe Club.
At times you will be paddling 1 mile or more from the shore. Please see the record times for previous years below:
- Solo Kayak: 4hours 48minutes
- Surf Ski single: 4hours 35minutes
- Surf Ski double: 4hours 17minutes
- Outrigger solo: 5hours 18minutes
You can take part solo or as a team:
Single & Double, Relay teams of 2
Safety Boat – Le Mourier Boats will be on the water providing on-water safety across the JRCI route. All competitors will be given all the information at the race briefing on Friday 30 August 2019.
Important Event Information for sign up
** Before signing up for the Jersey Round Island Challenge you must meet the following on-water criteria, sign the competitor statement and ensure you are race fit for the 31 August 2019**
All competitors must read the On-Water Criteria and sign the competitor statement before taking part.
All competitors must read and sign the attached competitor statement before participating in the JRIC 2019. Please hand this in at registration.
For the sake of safety, every entrant must first demonstrate that they are fit and capable to participate in this endurance event before being allowed to take on the challenge.
You need to be able to paddle in sea conditions along a stretch of coastline with some areas where it is not easy to land but there will always be straightforward land points a maximum of two nautical miles apart. Up to 2-3 Knots of tide (but not involving tide race or overfills). Wind strengths up to Beaufort force 4. Launching and landing through surf (up to 1 metre, trough to crest height).
Safety equipment – All participants must:
- Carry a VHF marine radio or mobile phone (in a waterproof pouch with lanyard attached to your PFD) which is accessible and useable at all times on the water in addition to any tracking devices provided by the race organisers).
- Carry a flare (day-smoke or laser flare or laser strobe) to assist any rescuer pinpoint your position.
- Provide “on-deck/on-person” food and water for energy and full hydration throughout the event.
- Have race number visible to the on-water safety team and the event organisers at all times when on the water.
- All competitors must wear a personal flotation device (PFD) approved by the race committee (the PFD must be on the ICF list) from before the start until after the finish of every event. Please note competitors who finish the race without their PFD on will be disqualified.
Sign off for participation will come from the relevant experienced Jersey club member and the event organisers.
The Jersey Canoe Club will manage the safety of the Kayak challenge category. They will provide essential support, training and safety guidelines as well as ratify your paddle and add your achievement to their records. For more information: http://jerseycanoeclub.co.uk/
Cut Off Times
For safety reasons there will be cut-off times at specific points around Jersey. The cut-off times will be communicated in race the race briefing and must be adhered to.
Post Race Prize-giving and Drinks
Event organisers would like to invite all competitors, friends and family to join us at Event HQ to celebrate the achievements throughout the day, which will be located at Long Beach, Grouville.