The second Jersey Round Island Challenge will take place on Saturday 12 August 2017 and will once again include five race categories:
- Swim Solo & Relay (45 miles) – A solo swimmer will circumnavigate the entire island. A swim relay team will consist of six people. One swimmer will be in the water at any given time and rotate with a team member every hour. Other team members will remain in the support boat provided by the event.
- Run Solo & Relay (48 miles) – A solo runner will circumnavigate the entire island via the coastal path. A running team will consist of five runners. Each runner will complete a leg of the same island course. To view the course map click here. (Coming soon)
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding Solo & Relay (40 miles approx.) – A solo SUPer will circumnavigate the entire island. Please note we encourage each individual to‘Buddy Up’ for the duration of the challenge . A SUP team will consist of 5 people, and the island course will be split into five sections. Board length is unlimited and Outrigger Canoes will also be allowed within the SUP discipline.
- Rowing Solo & Team (40 miles) – A solo rower will circumnavigate the entire island. A rowing team will circumnavigate the entire island. Teams will consist of either 2 man or 4 man crew.
- Kayak Solo & Relay (40 miles approx.) – A solo kayaker will circumnavigate the entire island. A kayak team will consist of five people, who will circumnavigate the entire island, completing a leg of the island race each.
Important Race Information
Each race category will be managed by a relevant local club, who will provide essential support, training and safety guidelines. For the sake of safety, every entrant must first demonstrate that they are fit and capable to participate in this endurance event. Sign off for participation will come from an experienced Jersey club member.
We are grateful to the below clubs who are confirmed partners for the event:
- Jersey Long Distance Swimming Club (JLDSC)
- Jersey Paddle Club
- Jersey Rowing Club
- Jersey Canoe Club
Please view the above course map for an overview of the course and changeover points. Please review the specific category information pages for more information on each discipline.
Trophies will be awarded for outstanding performances on the day! All finishers will receive a bespoke Jersey Round Island Challenge medal and t-shirt.
Due to tides on the day the Swim category will start at 8am from Elizabeth Castle.
Start times for all other categories will be as follows:
- Run: 8am
- Kayak: 9.15 am
- SUP: 9.15 am
- Rowing: 9.15 am
Full details of the race schedule including meet times and finalised start times for all race categories will be available in the Essential Race Information pack that will be emailed to all challengers 2 weeks prior to race day. This will also be available on the website.
Event Briefing and Race Pack Collection
Please note race packs will not be posted out to entrants.
Race packs will be handed out to participants at the event briefing on Friday 11 August which will take place at the Event HQ Marquee at Waterfront Gardens (the grass area on top of the Underground Car Park opposite The Bar) at 4.30pm. For those challengers who are not yet on island, there will be an opportunity to collect your race packs and attend a small briefing on the morning of the event.
Inclement Weather Contingency Plan
For all water based race categories, should the wind be force 4 or above then the race will relocate to the shelter of St. Catherine’s Bay or St Brelade Bay depending on wind direction.