The third Jersey Round Island Challenge will take place on Saturday 14 July 2018 and will once again include five race categories:
- Swim Solo & Relay (45 miles) – A solo swimmer will circumnavigate the entire island. A swim relay team will consist of six people. One swimmer will be in the water at any given time and rotate with a team member every hour. Other team members will remain in the support boat provided by the event.
- Run Solo & Relay (48 miles) – A solo runner will circumnavigate the entire island via the coastal path. A running team will consist of five runners. Each runner will complete a leg of the same island course. To view the course map click here. (Coming soon)
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding Solo & Relay (40 miles approx.) – A solo SUPer will circumnavigate the entire island. Please note we encourage each individual to‘Buddy Up’ for the duration of the challenge . A SUP team will consist of 5 people, and the island course will be split into five sections. Board length is unlimited and Outrigger Canoes will also be allowed within the SUP discipline.
- Rowing Solo & Team (40 miles) – A solo rower will circumnavigate the entire island. A rowing team will circumnavigate the entire island. Teams will consist of either 2 man or 4 man crew.
- Kayak Solo & Relay (40 miles approx.) – A solo kayaker will circumnavigate the entire island. A kayak team will consist of five people, who will circumnavigate the entire island, completing a leg of the island race each.
Challenge Timings –
Start times for all other categories will be as follows:
- Run: 8am
- Swim: 9am
- Prone Boards: 6:00am
- Kayak/ Canoe: 7.00 am
- SUP: 6:30am
- Rowing: 6am
- Outriggers: 6:45 am
- Surf Ski Kayak: 7:30am
- Surfboard: 6:00am
2018 competitors please click here to view your Essential Race Information
Event Briefing and Race Pack Collection
Please note race packs will not be posted out to entrants.
Race packs will be handed out to participants at the event briefing on Friday 13th July at 5pm, Celestial Hall, Royal Yacht Hotel. For those challengers who are not yet on island, there will be an opportunity to collect your race packs and attend a small briefing on the morning of the event.
Important Race Information
Each race category will be managed by a relevant local club, who will provide essential support, training and safety guidelines. For the sake of safety, every entrant must first demonstrate that they are fit and capable to participate in this endurance event. Sign off for participation will come from an experienced Jersey club member.
We are grateful to the below clubs who are confirmed partners for the event:
- Jersey Long Distance Swimming Club (JLDSC)
- Jersey Paddle Club
- Jersey Rowing Club
- Jersey Canoe Club
Please view the above course map for an overview of the 2017 course and changeover points. A 2018 course map will be available to view soon. Please review the specific category information pages for more information on each discipline.
Prizes/ Prize Giving
Our event is all about supporting the community and celebrating the Jersey lifestyle – our event HQ will be open to all throughout the day. All participants of all five-race categories are invited to join us from 4:30pm to celebrate achievements which is based in Grouville, Long Beach mound (overlooking the beach, to greet our swimmers and runners!!).
The organisers would like all participants to join us from 7:00pm for the prize giving where all competitors will receive their medals and top performer awards will be given out. Finger food will be provided courtesy of the event sponsors and a bar and hot food will be available to purchase.
Trophies will be awarded for outstanding performances on the day! All finishers will receive a bespoke Jersey Round Island Challenge medal and t-shirt.
All challengers are expected to join us in the evening for a Prize Giving Ceremony. Time and location to be announced in due course.
Inclement Weather Contingency Plan
For all water based race categories, should the wind be force 4 or above on Saturday 14 July, then the race will be re-scheduled for Sunday 15 July 2018.